Trail Blaze Outfitters Rental Policies
Our short-hand rental policy is largely this: enjoy our gear; don't destroy it while using it; return it within the agreed time; and we'll just charge you what we said we would. The long-hand version follows. If you are just buying some gear with no rental, none of this applies.
GEAR AVAILABILITY. At certain times, inventory may not be available for your desired Start Date. You will be contacted if your Order cannot be fulfilled due to prior inventory commitments or other reasons. We’ll work something out.
CANCELLATIONS. If you cancel your order in writing more than two weeks ahead of the scheduled shipping date, no fees will be charged. Later cancellations will result in a $25.00 processing fee charged to your card. Cancellation of an order is not an option once the gear has been shipped - we’re all in at that point.
START DATE. The starting date submitted with your rental order should be the latest date you need the gear to depart on your trip. We try to get the gear to you at least one day before your Start Date if timely ordered.
DROP-OFF DATE. The date the gear must be cleaned, re-boxed and dropped off for shipment to any UPS office or authorized center such as a UPS Store. Your Drop-off Date depends on your selected rental term. If you keep the gear beyond the initial agreed time, then you will owe additional rent. For example:
- Weekend/3-day rental: the rental gear for a Friday “Start Date” is normally delivered to you on Thursday, and Monday would be your “Drop-Off Date”. A Tuesday Start Date would have a Friday Drop-Off Date.
- 7/14/21 day rentals: Your Drop-Off Date will be on the same day of the week as your Start Date, 1, 2, or 3 weeks later.
- One month rental: Your Drop-Off Date will be on the same day the next month, unless that falls on a weekend, in which case the Drop-Off Date will be the following Monday.
DEPOSITS. The deposit calculated as you check out may be reserved against your credit card limit as a pre-authorization when we ship. It will be released upon return of the gear in the same condition as when delivered, normal wear and tear excepted. Any costs or losses that exceed the deposit amount will be charged to your credit card.
SHIPPING. The shipping calculated by the shopping cart is based on Ground shipping from OH to your designated point of delivery, and then back to us. If expedited shipping is required to meet your Start Date, we will contact you for approval. A prepaid return shipping label will be in the box with the gear delivered to you.
Shipments refused for other than late delivery will be processed as a completed rental transaction, with the full rental fees assessed to the renter. So you might as well go camping. If you have us ship to someone else, and they lose it or you can't get to it (hotel stashed it away; closed business, etc.), it's not our fault.
We guarantee delivery by the end of day of your Start Date, but every effort is made to deliver the gear to your designated address at by the day before. Occasionally there are weather delays, or UPS screws up. We try to find a solution if that happens, but our liability is limited to the prorated rent related to the delay. Any requested next-day delivery service is at your risk; ask us for details.
LATE CHARGES. If you do not deliver the gear for return shipment by your required Drop-Off Date, the rental term will be extended and the rental fee will be increased by the daily rate for Weekend Rentals. We don't charge by the hour, but don't test us by being a week late.
LOSS/THEFT/NON-RETURN. You are responsible for the gear at all times between delivery and return to our facility, but you can add insurance with UPS if you are concerned about it making it back to us.
CLEANING.You must return the gear to us free of mud and heavy dirt. The gear must be dry before shipping to us to avoid mildew or mold which can zap the gear by the time it is returned.
DAMAGES. Our rental rate assumes a limited amount of wear which may occur with a rental use. However, rips, tears, excessive dirt or stains, mildew, or missing parts noted upon return will result in additional charges against your credit card for repair or replacement.
LIABILITY. You recognize and acknowledge that outdoor activities such as hiking and cooking with fire can be inherently dangerous and unpredictable. We are not responsible for any accidents that may arise from your activity or use of our gear, and you hereby agree to indemnify us from any claims, charges or costs arising from your use of our gear or any related activities. We don’t have any money anyway.
While we will provide you gear as described in our product descriptions, we do not expressly or otherwise guarantee or warrant the gear for any specific performance or purpose other than as it is described. If any item of gear malfunctions or otherwise fails to perform its described functions, our maximum liability to you is the rental value paid for the item. If it rains or you get too cold, welcome to the outdoors.
VENUE. Any judicial actions arising from our rental of gear to you will be held in the appropriate court in New Albany, PA.
My name is Dan Lapp. I live in North Bloomfield, OH. As the CEO of this company, if something goes wrong on our end, I’m responsible for it! We are a classic American small business with a passion to serve people by getting them into a wilderness setting and inviting them to embrace adventures in the out-of-doors. Here are a few things that you should know about us.
- If you call with a question, a live, friendly person – often me – will either answer the phone or will gladly call you back as soon as possible if you leave a message. The same goes if you send an email
- Before you order, you can contact us with any question or concern. If you are a beginner, we’re glad to help, without being condescending. To us, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
- Our camping gear will be free of musky smells, excess dirt, or material rips or tears. There might be a pinhole we miss on occasion, but that’s about it.
- Our sleeping bags are washed between every use.
- If we ship something, and it does not arrive in time for you to use it, you will not be charged anything.
- If something we sent you doesn’t work the way it is intended to work, and we were unable to walk you thru a solution after contacting us, we will credit you for the time it was unusable.
We’re wonderful, but here are some things we don’t cover:
- If it rains all week; you get sick; you get lost; you manage to burn yourself on a stove or charbroil your food – sorry, that’s part of the adventure of the great outdoors.
- If raccoons, your dog, or your kid eats or tears up a tent - you’ve probably bought yourself a tent, so watch the kids.
- If you wrap a canoe around a rock in the middle of the river, or lose it because of high water or a lack of skill – than you’ve probably bought yourself a canoe.
Delivery fees are actual costs to and from our facility in PA to your designated point of delivery, usually arriving at least one full day ahead of your Start Date if ordered in time, or to a place and time that you specifically arrange with us. The delivery cost is in addition to our listed rental rate for each item. Your rental period does not include the transit times from and to our locations; that's on us.
We have 3 delivery options:
- Pickup your gear for free at our location in Lancaster, Pa or North Bloomfield, OH.
- Arrange for us to deliver to any location within 3hrs of our locations in Lancaster, Pa or North Bloomfield, OH. We provide delivery and shuttle services to any location within 3hrs.
Ship to any location in the USA with UPS shipping. (This option is not available for canoe rentals.)
We ship camping gear and gadgets anywhere in the US. We ship to your home; or anywhere at or near your destination, such as any one of thousands of UPS locations. If you're flying in from overseas or cross country, we can ship gear to near your arrival airport for pickup there. We include a return label in the box; just drop our box off at any UPS counter when you are done. You do not have to drop off the gear in the same city as the pickup location.
That transit time ranges from 1-day within OH; 3 days to the East Coast; 4 days to most Midwest and Southern states; and 5 days to most locations on the West Coast.
The shipping costs are based on the gear weight, box size and distance - whatever UPS charges us. The shopping cart will calculate the total costs after you have entered your desired delivery location (which can be different from your billing address). You can see in the shopping cart what the shipping cost will be before you enter any personal information. If the total weight of your selection exceeds 149 pounds, we'll have to re-calculate the shipping cost manually and get back with you. If you want to pick up gear at our store, there is no cost, but there is sales tax. If we deliver to a UPS Store, there will likely be a pickup/storage fee charged by the local owner. If we ship to a UPS Customer Service Center, there is no pickup fee. If you want us to ship to your hotel, you should let them know to expect a box to hold for your arrival.
Note that commonly rented items such as backpacking tents, packs, sleeping bags and bear canisters weigh 3 - 6 pounds each. The shipping weight of each piece of equipment may be higher than it's actual weight if it is over-sized for its weight - which is the case with backpacks, sleeping bags and bear cans for example. In some cases, the shipping cost may be based on the size, not the weight of the box.
For suggestions on trip preparation, what gear and essentials to take, and other helpful reference information, check out our Advice Page.
Last updated: 2/25/2015