Delaware River Canoe Trip
What makes this area unique?
Want to paddle a variety of rapids and flatwater without struggling to find a boat access and campsites? Over 100 established campsites line this water trail, along with 16 boat accesses. Although the Delaware is highly traveled, wildlife abounds and the banks are splashed with wildflowers in the warm months. Bald eagles feast on spawning shad in June, and strict hunting regulations on the New Jersey side of the river set you up for a good chance to spot a scampering black bear any time of year.
Flora & Fauna: decidous forest, wildflowers, deer, black bear, raccoon, bald eagle, many species of waterfowl and aquatic life.
Terrain: Class I to II+ rapids, flatwater.
Best Time to Paddle: May-September
Type of Trip: canoe
Y Day Trip
Y Weekend Trip
Y 4 to 7-Day Trip
Y 7 to 14-Day Trip
N Loop Trip
Y Shuttle Service Nearby (Seasonal)
Hazards: Class II (Class III at flood stage) rapids, eel weirs, some campsites are over-run with poison ivy.
Where to Find Maps/Charts: amazon.com, A Paddler's Guide to the Delaware River by Gary Letcher.
Permits Required: No
Pets Allowed: Yes, but not at all access points.
Delaware River 7-Day Itinerary: 73 miles
- Drive to Ten Mile River Access.
- Shuttle trailer to Kitattinny Point Canoe Access (free parking behind Visitor Center).
- Canoe 5 miles to camp at Ascalona Campground. Fees apply. Call Ascalona Campground to inquire: 845-557-6554
- Canoe 15 miles. Camp at Buckhorn Natural Area (free camping permit).
- Canoe 14 miles. Camp at site #1 Mashipacong Island.
- Canoe 9 miles. Camp at Sandyston, sites #18-23.
- Canoe 11 miles. Camp at Tom’s Creek, sites #39-42
- Canoe 14 miles. Camp at Hileah Island, sites #107, 108.
- Canoe 5 miles.
- Take out at Kittatinny Point Canoe Access.
Don't miss your chance to sit on the Tri-State Rock while you're in the Gap! The Appalachian Trail passes the Kittatinny Point Visitor Center and climbs north to campsites near Sunfish Pond, and glimpses of the Delaware River far below. Biking, hiking and fishing is also available in this area.